17 August 2008

innamorata di LOVE e 4 uomini

DECEMBER 12, 2006 entry taken from my previous blog

“Listen…ooh ah ooh…Do you want to know a secret?” is what he played strumming his sunburst hummingbird acoustic. I would just sit back and listen to dad’s slower doo-wop version of the Beatles song as a young child. In fact it’s one of my earlier memories as a child and my first memory of music. Dad would sing this to me while practicing guitar or just goofing around. And as I got older, I discovered my true passion was in music and one of my first loves of this international/intergalactic language was the Beatles.

In a www.beatles.com interview with George and Giles Martin, they described the album as trying to summarize the history of the Beatles music within one album. As most people know this feat is damn near impossible, but these men sure did do their best.

The album opens with an acappella version of Because with the sound of birds chirping in the background. It then moves on to Get Back where you can automatically recognize A Hard Day’s Night intro note and A Day in the Life’s orchestral movement. You can tell that most of the songs on LOVE have bits and pieces pulled in from different songs of different times. For example, Glass Onion has the Penny Lane piccolo trumpet and on Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! you hear the killer vocals from Helter Skelter mixed in which makes the song a little edgier and darker.

One of my favorite songs on the album is the snippet of Gnik Nus which is Sun King backwards. I wish they would have left the Italian lyrics in the song, but as the song fades it makes for a wonderful transition into Something.

Another set of great transitions between songs includes the Blackbird intro that mellows into Yesterday and the mix of Eleanor Rigby which fades beautifully into Julia. And who could forget about A Day in the Life? This is definitely a treat with Lennon counting off the song to “sugarplum fairy, sugarplum fairy.”

Although I may have picked some different pieces, the Martins’ compilation and remixes of Beatles trax make LOVE a special album. I can honestly say that in listening to the trax of LOVE that I’m taken on a little trip from start to finish of the Beatles career.

No comments: