17 August 2008

buon anno

JANUARY 4, 2007 entry taken from my previous blog

New Year’s Eve got off to a rocky start. As usual, it took me longer than anticipated to get ready, but once we left it was smooth sailing…or so I thought. Now being that I was in a hurry, I decided to take Mopac down to Cesar Chavez, but little did I know that street was closed due to the festivities. So I had to turn around and get onto S. Lamar only to have my “low fuel” light sound off like a four fire alarm. Luckily, there was a gas station not too far down the road near Barton Springs.

After gassing up and getting situated, we finally get to Lisa’s house and begin consuming a moderate amount of food and drinks. It wasn’t too happening there, so we took off to my friend Donato’s house. Now, I’ve been to Donny’s New Year’s Eve bash for the past 3 yrs and I always have fun. This year was no different and I hate to admit it, but this year’s party was the best of them so far…atleast for me it was.

The invite read:
“Menudo & margaritas. Musicians, feel free to bring your instruments. Partiers, feel free to bring your party. Comelones, feel free to bring your appetite. Borrachos/as, feel free to b.y.o.b.........”
The minute I walked through the door, Donato beckons for me to come over to where he’s standing. He says, “Hey baby, glad you could make it. Go sing us a little song.” I was stunned and didn’t know what the crowd wanted to hear, so Donny suggests Crazy by the late great Ms. Patsy Cline. So I ask the band to play and I belt out Crazy as best as I can. The crowd was very kind and showered me w/ compliments afterwards, but one gentleman in particular felt the need to stroke my ego for a good half hour. (one of the most attractive 57yr old men I’ve ever met!) Now who am I to back down from a compliment? So of course I let the man sing his praises.

We continued to party well past the New Year, and then the music got interesting. This other man, whom I didn’t catch his name, busts out playing beautiful classical guitar. He says, “Let’s play this, but watch me becos it’s gonna pick up.” He begins playing Do You Want To Know A Secret? by the Beatles and my jaw hits the floor. Well into the piece he drops a tropical/salsa style into the song which just compliments the party soooooooooo well. I jumped in w/ the little egg shaker and the whole room was totally feeling it. My friend Mario joined in on bongos and the accordionist just let it rip during a mini solo. The whole place was alive w/ a tropical sound and the Beatles. I know this sounds like the craziest mix, but it worked well that night. The music got better and better and I ended my set with Amor Eterno which was a good somber song for me to end on.

All are extremely gifted musicians, but then again I have to say that about Mario becos I think the world of this guy. It seems as though we connect on so many different levels including music and I enjoy the time we spend w/ each other. He’s the only one that seems to get that one lone pitch of a minor chord can send me to tears if it’s in the right progression. OR that you can see music in wave patterns and different colors w/o ever seeing it on a computer screen. OR that you can be instantly transported through time w/ a simple intro of a song. And that making your own guitar/trumpet solo impersonations are absolutely necessary when expressing your love for a song. This guy gets it and that’s why I’m glad he’s in my life.

And as cheesy as it sounds I felt the need to express how appreciative I was to be standing in the same room w/ such talented individuals. It was a breath of fresh air to “jam” w/ people who know what they’re doing. Plus, I got picked up for vocals at future gigs w/ some of these people, so of course I’m super excited!

Hope ya’ll enjoyed your New Year’s Eve as much as I did. Good luck to all in 2007!

No comments: