16 August 2008

il criceto


JUNE 10, 2005 entry taken from my previous blog

After getting home from jogging I decided to give Skecher his meds. Little did I know that I would find him near his food bowl 'sleeping'. I yelled for help, but alas, Skecher had passed. My best friend was no longer with us and a feeling of utter sadness came over me. The night Skecher passed, I cried myself to sleep. 

Skecher came into our lives on April 6, 2003 at 6 months of age. He left this earth June 9, 2005 but will remain in our hearts forever. 

Maybe this was for the best. The day before we had gone to Skecher's vet for a follow up appointment on his sticky eye. The sticky eye had cleared up but the vet noticed the significant weight gain. We had an x-ray done and long story short, the vet wanted to do a biopsy on Skecher. She had reason to believe that he wasn't just fat/obese, but that the mass in his abdomen could be cancer. And you could see that his little body was working doubly hard to do the regular things he did. We thought it was old age, but at this point, who knows. 

I loved that hamster so much, but then again who wouldn't have? Those big black eyes and tan/white fur could melt anyone's heart. But it's a relief to know that he's not hurting anymore and that's what really matters.

No comments: